Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Recipe Wednesday: Broccoli Swiss Chicken and Parmesan Basil Rice

On tonight's menu was broccoli and swiss stuffed chicken (see the trend!) with parmesan basil rice, broccoli and yeast rolls. I borrowed the chicken recipe from the fabulous girls over at Heads in the Books, Still Time to Cook. Check them out!

For the chicken:

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 egg
2 tsp of water
1/4 cup of breadcrumbs
1 frozen steamable bag of broccoli (or 2 cups fresh), cooked
4 Tbsp (2 slices) swiss cheese
Salt and pepper to taste.

For the rice:

2 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup uncooked rice
1/2 chicken broth
1/4 cup parmesan
1/8 cup fresh basil
salt and pepper to taste

serves 2

So start by preheating your oven to 350. A quick little trick I used to get the swiss and broccoli further in the chicken was to cut a shallow canal down the middle of the breasts. Then just add the chicken and cooked broccoli to the chicken. Roll and secure with toothpicks.


Next, mix egg, water and salt in a small bowl. Dredge the chicken through the egg mix and then through the bread crumbs. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes


For the rice melt butter in a skillet. Brown rice in butter until lightly browned.


Next add the chicken broth and basil. Simmer on low, covered for 15-20 minutes. Add the parmesan and salt and pepper.


Voila! Fairly easy meal in less than an hour. I served with rolls and broccoli.


Let me know how yall's turns out!
Also on another note, how do yall like the new background?! I also added some additions to the sidebar. This summer I'm going to read and reread some classics that "everyone should read before they die". So let me know if you've read whatever I'm reading and if you liked it. Also feel free to suggest books for my list!